Wednesday, August 6, 2008

michael and me

The cast list was up for The Wiz, my first high school production I would be in. as I approached the big wooden door of the choir room I found several parts next to my name. Tornado, poppy, Wiz dancer, and Quadling. No speaking parts for me. It was okay though, I was a dancer anyway.

At the first rehearsal I saw the lion, tinman, scarecrow, and Dorothy do one of their scenes. They approached the gatekeeper to request entrance to the emerald city. I recognized the gatekeeper as Michael. One of my friends had a crush on him and no wonder, he was kind of tall with brown hair that was brushed to the side. He had deep brown eyes and prominent features. Attractie, but I was more interested in the tinman. A redhead and a football player. I intended to get to know him and request a ride home, since I was only a freshman and had no car.

As rehearsal concluded, I approached him as he was gathering his things. “I was wondering if you could maybe give me a ride home?” I asked tentatively. He looked up and flashed a wide grin. “I’d love to but I have work right after this. I’ll help you find a ride though,” he replied. Darn. He called Michael over and told him I needed a ride. Michael, of course, was more than happy to oblige.

The ride home was awkward. But pleasant. He made attempts at conversation as I clung to the door afraid to make a food of myself. After all, he was an attractive senior and I was about to spend every day of the next three months seeing him. Fortunately, I made it safely home, perhaps appearing slightly shy.

After that, whenever I was in need of a ride, I simply went to him. We were able to make pleasant conversation. After I got over my initial fear of looking like a dork, we found ourselves sitting next to each other backstage, just enjoying each other’s company.

Then, one day, my friend approached me looking very solemn. “I just found out that Michael likes you,” she said. “Wow,” was the only reply I could muster since I had had friends steal guys away from me in the past. I knew what she was going through. I simply asked her what she wanted me to do. “Well, do you like him?” she asked. I hadn’t really thought of what I felt before. It wasn’t ever an option since she liked him. “Well, I guess I do.” And that was that. She had given me her ‘blessing’ so to speak. I was awestruck as she walked away. A guy who I thought was out of my league actually liked me. And I like him. Perfect.

~

Every time I saw Michael, my heart jumped. And we were the talk of the cast…even though there wasn’t much to talk about. The situation really became public at the cast party.

A room was reserved at Chili’s. It was the only restaurant that would let the cast come. The parties got a little crazy.

We were all sitting around two large tables waiting for our food. Everyone was involved in their own conversations. All of the sudden, Brian, who was a monkey in the show, called everyone’s attention for a toast. Raising his glass, he announced, “I would like to make a toast to Michael and Julia!” I could feel my face slowly turn every shade of red at this remark. Fortunately the laughter died down as the food began to arrive.

~

The cast was gathered around the swimming pool at the “after cast party” party. The all night party. It was about one o’clock in the morning. Everyone was talking and laughing. Out background music was some guys playing guitar. A few people were swimming despite the cold weather. Michael approached me and casually asked to talk to me. We left the crowd and found an empty room. We sat down on the couch and made casual conversation. I could tell something was on his mind. Something that wasn’t going to be good for me. I just wanted to get it over with.

“So what did you want to talk to me about?” I cautiously asked. “Well,” he began, “you know I like you, but some of my friends have been telling me some stuff about you,” he said. I didn’t know what to think. It wasn’t the first time people had said negative things about me. With no grounds. I’d only been in two relationships and both of them lasted less than two weeks. I was never really a ‘social butterfly’ and I had only recently received my first real kiss. But people always had a tendency to talk about how ‘slutty’ I was.

Sure that I was about to hear the worst and that my chance with Michael was now gone. I threw caution to the wind. “Who? What did they say?” Now he was the once proceeding cautiously, since I was on the verge of tears.

“I’m not going to tell you who. And all they said was that you move fast and I should be careful. But you haven’t given me any reason to believe them, so I don’t. Julia, I really like you. But since I’m about to graduate I don’t want a ‘serious relationship.’ I just want to date you. I was really nervous about talking to you tonight. I hadn’t really decided whether or not to kiss you when we came in here. I have butterflies in my stomach now.”

‘Wow. I gave a guy butterflies. He’s as nervous as I am. He wants to kiss me. He feels the same way I do.’ These thoughts tore through my head.

“Well, have you decided yet? Whether or not to kiss me, I mean.”

“I think in five seconds I’m gonna kiss you ‘cause I’m too nervous right now.”

Michael took my hand and put down a finger as each second passed. As he put the fifth finger down, he put his hand beneath my chin and gently drew my face to his. He softly kissed me. We kissed for what seemed like forever. Until we stopped. The time that had passed was not nearly long enough. He looked me straight in the eyes. It was as if he was looking into my soul in that brief moment. Then he pulled my face to his. Not to kiss. Just to be near me. Then he kissed my forehead and let go.

No comments: